Monday, February 13, 2017

"oh my mom"


There were lots of things I could title this email, but I just said, "oh my mom" which is a direct translation from "mamma mia!!" so I guess I now speak it Italian English 

This week there wasn't anything super special so I am just going to share a bunch of really random little stories that don't go together at all:

- this week we had a scambio in Catania. And they were preparing for la festa di Sant agata (which is today) Who is their patron saint. There were a bunch of bancarelle (I don't know what they're called in English booths maybe?) with torrone and candy and everybody was selling balloons and they carry around this huge gold thing and play music haha. It's kind of a weird party/celebration, but according to the Italians is the third largest party in the world!!! But I don't really know if that's true because you can't really ever trust what they say 100% of the time. It was fun to be there though. 
- with that being said, sorella puglisi told the anziani I was good at making orecchiette!!! (I was taught well in Taranto) and she's from Puglia (where actually the best food in Italy is from, in my opinion), but the only unfortunate thing is that no Italians will ever remember my name haha. So I am known as the Sorella that plays the violin haha
- we got permission to watch 17 miraclesthis week because it was a ward activity and we had some less actives and investigators that were coming. Our less active was bawling! (But she still didn't come to church dang it!) we had to leave early, because it was 9, but apparently after we left it started skipping and wasn't working so Sorella Campo, the best person ever, stood up and offered to say a prayer! And after the prayer it started working. They were all so excited to tell us the story about the 18th miracle!!!! Haha I love them so much
- we had a lesson with Maurizio and Marcella where we read Jacob chapter four and it was a great lesson!! I love the Book of Jacob. Marcella asked what the atonement was, even though we have taught the restoration and the plan of salvation and explained he atonement, but at least she's asking questions and trying to understand! Slowly slowly. Also when we invite Maurizio to pray he says maybe!! Instead of no! Haha that is a step in the right direction. It could have been because he was a little bit drunk, but that's ok. He also quoted some oscar Wilde quote that was talking about how all of the things that make you fat and get you addicted and something else are all of the vices of the world. And he thought it was hilarious. Sorella demann and I......not funny. 
- sorella chines (member) came to a lesson with us to teach a member and we taught the restoration and yesterday she bore her testimony about how when we read Moroni 10:3-5 she felt the spirit so strongly that the Book of Mormon is true!! (This is part of the reason why we do member lessons people!!!)
- the new missionary schedule is awesome! It's actually very strange to come home at night and not plan for the next day. I still feel sometimes like I'm being disobedient or something for not planning for the next day, but I went to bed at 9:30 one time this week. Awesome!!
- we taught our English course down by the banks!! They were loving it haha. 
- we had a lesson with the micozzi's. They are the most classic people I have ever met in my life. It's really too difficult to describe how hilarious it is to go over to their house, but it is something I will never forget. She is actually very knowledgeable about the gospel and she and her husbands conversations make me cry laughing. 

This week I read a story that I am sure many of you have heard before. It is from a talk given in 1982 by Elder (at the time) Boyd K. Packer. He describes an experience he had on an airplane with a man who was atheist. This man demanded to have Elder Packer describe to him exactly how he knows that there is a god. And he struggled at first and then a thought came to his mind. He asked the man if he knew what salt tastes like. The man said, of course I know what salt tastes like. And then Elder Packer asked him to describe the taste of salt. And he could not do it. Just because we haven't seen god, doesn't mean that he isn't there. Feeling His love and His spirit isn't something you can really describe. Just like salt. It is different for everyone and everyone can know if He is real for themselves. I love that. He loves us enough to let us all have the opportunity to KNOW Him, if that is something we really desire. 

On another note, we receive transfer calls tonight. I am sad and happy and excited and scared also all at the same time. I have only been here for three transfers which isn't that long so I could very easily stay, but sorella demann has now finished her training as a new missionary so (as it has been happening in our mission) it is likely that she will be transferred. It has been very fun to be able to serve with her. I would love to stay here in Ragusa. I love it and I love the members.

I guess we'll see next week!

I love you all and hope you have the best week ever!!

Con tanto amore dalla Sicilia,

Sorella g













No comments:

Post a Comment