Wednesday, November 23, 2016

WE CAN DO HARD THINGS


Before we heard about our Transfers...

After we heard about our Transfers!!!
Hello beautiful family and friends!!!!

Well this past Monday I received a call from my mission president that I would be receiving a new missionary straight from the MTC that I was to train in Ragusa. My first thoughts were, "WHAT?!?!? Are you sure you are talking to the right person? My name is Sorella Gochnour and I am almost positive you are talking to the wrong missionary." But as it turns out he was not. I now have a new companion. Her name is Sorella Rachel Demann. She is from Murray, Utah and actually knows the Gochnour's that live in Murray. So that was pretty cool. She is really cute and we are going to have a lot of fun and a lot of adventures together these next two transfers!

This past week was spent mainly in Catania. I will explain why. My old companion got sent to Rome. She was blown in, meaning she and her companion are both brand new to the area, and her new companion is a greenie, and she is also the sister training leader in Rome. So that's a lot of things. Anyway her flight up to Rome was on Wednesday so we had to leave Ragusa on Tuesday after she said all of her last goodbyes. Wednesday and Thursday I spent with Sorella Rushton in Catania. I actually really like Catania. It's a beautiful city and there are tons of people that you just get to talk to. Most everyone is super friendly so it's really fun to talk to them about the gospel. One of my favorite things about being a missionary is being able to talk to people about what they believe and why I am here. 

Thursday night I received my companion and we rode the bus back to Ragusa! Friday was spent weekly planning and in correlation. We had our first lesson together!! And then Saturday we had to go back to Catania for stake conference on Saturday and also Sunday. 

This past week I have been very blessed to have had many prayers answered. I can honestly say I am not exactly sure why I received this call. I feel like I am still a brand new missionary. I am in my fourth transfer and I don't know Italian yet. I don't know how to be a senior companion let alone train a new missionary. But I do know that there is a plan and that Heavenly Father loves me. He knows what is best for me and there were truly some things I studied this past week to help me accept this call. 

The first thing I studied this week was humility. I read this quote from President Uchtdorf about our savior Jesus Christ. I am here because I love my Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ and my ultimate goal is to become like Jesus Christ, which includes being humble. He says,

“The greatest, most capable, most accomplished man who ever walked this earth was also the most humble. He performed some of His most impressive service in private moments, with only a few observers, whom He asked to ‘tell no man’ what He had done [see Luke 8:56]. When someone called Him ‘good,’ He quickly deflected the compliment, insisting that only God is truly good [see Mark 10:17–18]. Clearly the praise of the world meant nothing to Him. … We would do well to follow the example of our Master.”

The second was found in a talk given by Elder Carl B. Cook this past general conference titled Serve. This talk helped me grow the faith that I need to trust in the Savior. To hang on to my faith because sometimes that is the only thing that is guiding us in this life. He says,

"The natural man or woman in all of us is inclined to allow us to excuse ourselves from serving for reasons such as “I am not ready to serve; I have more to learn,” “I’m tired and need a break,” “I’m too old--it’s someone else’s turn,” or “I am simply too busy.” Brothers and sisters, accepting and fulfilling a calling is an act of faith. We can trust in what our prophet, President Thomas S. Monson, repeatedly teaches: “Whom the Lord calls, the Lord qualifies” and “When we are on the Lord’s errand, we are entitled to the Lord’s help.” Whether we are overwhelmed or underwhelmed, whether we are scared to death or bored to death, the Lord wants us to gear down, power up, and serve."

The third inspiration was found in the Doctrine and Covenants. The Lord is speaking to Joseph in Liberty Jail. It is incredibly humbling to read this group of scriptures. It says,

7 And if thou shouldst be cast into the pit, or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the deep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to hedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good.
8 The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than he?
9 Therefore, hold on thy way, and the priesthood shall remain with thee; for their bounds are set, they cannot pass. Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever.

The fourth inspiration came this morning while I read in Mosiah 23:21. The people of Alma had just escaped the guards of King Noah and they had been baptized and were walking in the ways of righteousness and keeping all of the commandments and then we read this verse 

21 Nevertheless the Lord seeth fit to chasten his people; yea, he trieth their patience and their faith. 

Heavenly Father needs to give us these experiences because they will ultimately be for our good and they will help us build our faith and our patience and help us to become the people we are meant to become. 

The last inspiration was from a couple emails I received this past week from my siblings. One was from my sister grace. She said, 

I know that the work is sometimes hard and it doesn't seem like anyone wants to listen or progress but all that matters is where your heart is. You can't fail on the Lord's errand if you are trying your best." And then she shared a quote that a friend shared with her that says, "I hope you always feel weak and inadequate because that is when god can truly use you and shape you. When we are weak, then we are strong."

And the last quote comes from my older brother will. He said, "I'm convinced that you learn the most about yourself when you have to deal with hard things."

I'm sorry this is kind of long and might be boring, but I am so grateful for the trust that Heavenly Father has in me. Sometimes I don't feel like I trust myself to train this brand new missionary and make sure she has the best experience possible. This doesn't mean that I am better than any other missionary because I am training "young" in the mission. It doesn't mean I can speak the language. It doesn't mean I necessarily know how to be a missionary or even that I did something or didn't do something to receive this call. All it means is that this is what Heavenly Father needs for me right now. I feel weak and I certainly feel inadequate, but luckily I don't have to do this alone. 

And I have never thought of my family motto so much in my life.......

WE CAN DO HARD THINGS!!!!!

I love you all dearly. I hope you know I would be lost without your love and support. 

This is me wishing you a HAPPY THANKSGIVING with lots of love and gratitude from Italy 🇮🇹 

Sorella G ❤️









No comments:

Post a Comment