Monday, October 17, 2016

the w i n d y city


Hello hello!!! 

I'm not really sure why but it has been suuuuper windy here in Ragusa this past week. And Sorella Bicchierri said it's never windy so that's a little interesting. Also it is definitely FALL here. There are some days where it's cold and others where it's burning hot. All of the cars were super dirty from African sand. So that's kind of cool. Also I'm grateful we're here in Ragusa on the hill because in Catania it's still burning hot. Just a little weather update haha. 

My first full week in Ragusa was a success!!! I love it here. We live at the top of the city on top of the hill and the center of the city is at the very bottom. So I will reiterate, LOTS OF WALKING. I love it though. 

This past week we traveled to Catania (which is a two hour bus ride) for zone conference. It went really well. I love seeing President and sister Pickerd. They are so awesome!! It is crazy how much President Pickerd has changed our mission. He has stressed obedience a lot. He said the number one thing every single missionary tells him right before they go home, is how they could have been more obedient. He encouraged us to start now so we can say we did our best. He told us he felt prompted to talk about being a successful missionary. In Preach My Gospel it gives a really incredible description of being a successful missionary. Out of all of the characteristics that make you a successful missionary, none of them are key indicators. They are things you can do to lead you to achieve your goals for key indicators. Which a lot of time it's frustrating because you set these goals in faith and then you don't reach them and it's like. Ok well I'm the biggest failure ever, but really you're not haha. It just is really hopeful. If you break it down to what really matters and what our purpose really is, you will find that you really can be a successful missionary or disciple of Christ or even just a successful person. 

This past week we made lots of plans and basically all of them fell through!! But that's ok!!! Haha that is when you see miracles. And I can honestly say we were able to see a lot of miracles. 

One day we were on our fifth plan and we went to go visit this less active. Well it turns out she wasn't home so we started to make our way home. We saw this young mom putting two kids in her car and she was sooo nice to us. She gave us her number and sounded like she could meet with us soon. We tried calling her yesterday and it said that the line was out of order. So she either blocked us, or discontinued her line. But that doesn't matter!! It doesn't matter if she gets baptized or if she even has a lesson with us. What matters is that Heavenly Father gave us a miracle that night. And that is more than enough for me. 

Here is another miracle we saw this week. Last night we went to Via Roma (which is like the Main Street in the middle of town, remember Ragusa is tiny so there aren't a lot of people anywhere) and I got to play my violin. Sorella Bicchierri sat down and talked to this lady who was sitting on her cell phone. They talked for about twenty minutes and she said she was looking at her cell phone but her mind was in the music. She felt calm and she felt peace. She was just divorced from her husband and she's from Romania. Her children weren't allowed to stay here in Italy with her so it's really a sad time for her. She was really interested in learning more and I really hope something good comes of it. 

My companion is awesome. Haha I am so grateful for her example of hard work and obedience. We have a lot of fun and I am learning A LOT. 

This week one night we were in the middle of planning. It was after a longgggg day and we were laughing at something that had happened to us. I don't remember exactly, but I looked down at my desk and I saw the gourd that my mom had sent me in the MTC. It was a little Santa ornament and on the back is painted the word HOPE. I stopped laughing and immediately just felt the spirit so strongly. I have no idea why it was turned around to the word because I always have it going the right way so I can look at the front of the gourd, which is santa's face, but for some reason it was turned around. That was a little tender mercy for me to see that word. I am so grateful for this gospel. For the hope it brings into this dark world. We are in the eleventh hour and it is just going to get harder. We have to have a strong foundation, built upon Christ. And we have to be strengthening our testimonies every single day or else we will lose them. I feel honored to be a part of the generation saved for these last days and hope I can live up to the task that I have been asked to do, which is to help gather scattered Israel. I know that this gospel brings hope. 

I was reading Jacob 5 this past week and the Lord of the Vineyard says "What could I have done more for my vineyard?" 

Elder Jeffrey R. Holland said about this line, 

"After digging and dunging, watering and weeding, trimming, pruning, transplanting, and grafting, the great Lord of the vineyard throws down his spade and his pruning shears and weeps, crying out to any who would listen, ‘What could I have done more for my vineyard?’
What an indelible image of God’s engagement in our lives!"

I HOPE you all realize how lucky we are for our Savior, whose hand is always stretched out towards us, waiting to lift up those hands that hang down. 

I hope you all have a marvelous week! I love and miss you all. 

Sorella G

PS here is a preview of the week ahead...So on Wednesday the Edgel's (senior couple) are picking me and my companion up and driving us to the airport in Catania. On Wednesday at 12th. Then we fly to Rome and get there around 1:20pm. That night we are doing a gesso (street contacting) with a bunch of missionaries in front of the Spanish Steps. 

And then the next morning we will hear from President Russell M.Nelson. Our flight leaves Rome at 8 pm on Thursday so we will be back in Catania at 9:45pm and then will stay with the Edgel's in Catania and then they will drive us home in Friday morning. It should be amazing and I get to play my violin!

my cute companion Sorella Bicchierri


bomba BEST DESSERT I HAVE EVER EATEN

cannolo!!


district of RAGUSA!






No comments:

Post a Comment