Tuesday, September 6, 2016

A full week of Fasting

This is Demba

Hello everyone here are some funny things that happened this week:
  •     When you ask three Italian men sitting on a bench where the bus stop is and they ALL point different directions. It was classic. I wish I could have gotten it on video. Italians will give you directions to anywhere if you ask them, even if they have no idea where the thing you are looking for is......

  •     I sent home a package to my family this week and they just have these red deposit boxes all over the city so I put my package in one and it dropped to the bottom and the flap on the bottom of the mail box opened and all of the mail fell out!!! Haha it was so funny. This guy was laughing so hard at us. We just put all of the mail back in and shut it. I don't know if that's how they all are, but I guess you could potentially steal everyone's mail in Italy if you wanted.

  •     We went to teach our investigator Cristina about tithing and fasting. Before we start the lesson, she starts telling us about how she was fasting today instead of Sunday and how she hadn't eaten anything because she felt she was in need of some blessings. So apparently she didn't really need to be taught about fasting.

  •     Also we sat in her kitchen and sang Nessun Dorma, Maria, and La Bella Donna which was of course the funniest thing ever for me haha. Cristina couldn't figure out why we weren't allowed to listen to those songs even when we told her four times that they are about romance.

  •     This same investigator also brought her Catholic friend Gilda to church (keep in mind it's fast Sunday so everyone is handing bishop tithing and fast offerings) Cristina turns in a fast offering (this is her second time and no she isn't baptized yet haha) and she tells her friend Gilda about it and Gilda pays a fast offering as well!!! Now we just need to figure out how to get them baptized. We have tried starting the lessons with Gilda, but she only wants to meet with us when Cristina is there and Cristina lives with a man who pays her rent and we're still trying to figure out how to get her to nicely kick him out and somehow have enough money to pay rent. But what little money she has she certainly makes sure it goes to tithing and fast offerings, which is so awesome.

  • ·    Also we started fasting after pranzo on Saturday and went to visit a less active. They offered us gelato and we told her "No, thank you." But she went and got us two cups full of gelato (which I'm pretty sure was coffee flavored) and so there goes our fasting out the window. Now I know how to say "I am fasting" so we won't have that problem anymore haha


Welllllllll this week was just about the saddest week ever. Just kidding, but not really kidding that much. On Monday we found out that the Lahadernes were leaving......which is like a dagger to the heart. They didn't tell us why they were going home, but their youngest daughter was struggling with some things and some of their other kids needed them and they just decided it was time to go home. They were supposed to finish in November but they left on Tuesday. At district meeting on Tuesday they brought all of their American food and Sorella Lahaderne told us this really cool story that I will share later and then they just said goodbye. It was so sad. I was crying as I hugged them goodbye. They were basically my parents. I love those people so much and I hope that some day I will be as thoughtful and generous as them. They live in Montana, but Anziano Lahaderne has some connection to Holladay, Utah so I gave them our address and your phone number mom haha so just a heads up on that one. After they left, district meeting was just silent and Anziano Friedman played "Savior Redeemer of My Soul" and if you know how much I love that song, then you know that didn't help with the tears at all either, but it's ok. They are needed elsewhere and I am so grateful that I was able to know them.

So here's the story, remember how I told you about Sorella Mazzolari and how she was struggling because all of her kids are less active? So in the car I said something in very simple Italian along the lines of "I don't know why anything happens, but I do know that Heavenly Father loves and knows us and he has a plan for us." That was all directed by the spirit and that was honestly the only thing I could think of to say. That apparently really touched her and when Sorella lahaderne was having this really hard time she called Sorella Mazzolari and Sorella Mazzolari told her that. So I am a living witness and can personally testify to you that Heavenly Father works through and by the spirit. Anziano Whited (an elder in our district) said something I really loved. He said, "Trying to do missionary work without the spirit is like trying to boil pasta without water, it just doesn't work." I loved that because it is so true. And I just feel lucky that Heavenly Father can trust me to be an instrument in his hands.

Also, this week I taught my first African!!!! Woot woot! Haha. There was a group of these Africans on the street and one of them stopped us and said he wants to talk about God with us. And we were like...ok. What do you want to talk about? He told us he didn't believe that white men can believe in God. And wanted to kind of get in an argument type thing with us about gun violence in America and what not. But he had a friend who actually spoke English really well. We asked them where they were from and two of them were from Senegal and the guy that told us we can't believe in God was from Nigeria, but he wouldn't tell us where he was from haha I have no idea why. Anyway. One of the ones from Senegal was named Demba and he wanted to learn more about Christianity so we set up a return appointment.

There are just a couple of problems. 1. We are not allowed to teach Africans if they don't have their papers (which allow them to be legal citizens of Italy) 2. We are not allowed to teach Muslims if they are planning on ever returning to their country in Africa, because they could be in danger. Well Demba is waiting for his papers and he is Muslim so unfortunately that doesn't really work out, but we can teach them the first lesson. So we met and taught him the restoration and kind of told him about the Book of Mormon and the bible and Christianity in general and it was really cool. It was incredible to teach someone something and just have them listen to everything you say. It was so strange actually. I think that was the first time I haven't had to butt into a conversation and was also the first time I have never been interrupted in the middle of my sentence. The lesson went really well and I think he was interested in it. I don't know if he will convert ever, but we left him with a Book of Mormon and some pamphlets. It is kind of sad because the Italians don't really like immigrants that
much. He was telling us how he doesn't really like Italy that much because he goes up to people and tries to just say hello and they just don't say anything back. All we said was, we know the feeling. (Also fun fact about Africans, whenever they are stating their opinion or talking about their beliefs they say, "for me.....")

But overall it was just another week in the life of an Italian missionary. Maybe just a missionary in general. Actually probably just life in general. Lots of appointments that fell through, lots of finding, lots of people not wanting to talk to you, and lots of exhaustion, but we are not alone in this work. You have to look for the good moments. For the tender mercies.

I read this talk I found this past week by Elder Quentin L. Cook called "The Songs They Could Not Sing" and he said this that I really loved, "There are many kinds of challenges. Some give us necessary experiences. Adverse results in this mortal life are not evidence of lack of faith or of an imperfection in our Father in Heaven’s overall plan. The refiner’s fire is real, and qualities of character and righteousness that are forged in the furnace of affliction perfect and purify us and prepare us to meet God."

I know this to be true. We are never alone. I also love this verse in D&C 101:16

16 Therefore, let your hearts be comforted concerning Zion; for all flesh is in mine hands; BE STILL AND KNOW THAT I AM GOD.

Ciao ciao ciao ciao ciao


Sorella Lucy Ann Gochnour


This is Matteo and he gave me this book Paradise.

my view from the bus


peanut butter?

No comments:

Post a Comment