Monday, August 22, 2016

Pretty Trees, Coffee Birthmarks, Fat Faces, and Mosquito Attacks

Gesso in the streets of Lungo mare
So big surprise, I'm still in Taranto!!

This week was actually probably the first of MANY normal weeks this week. We unfortunately had to drop an investigator. She wasn't keeping any of the commitments we were giving her and we asked her if she would want to be baptized and she gave us a hard no haha. But she said maybe in the future. So let's hope for that.

We also had a ward party again!! Our ward does so many events and it's like super irregular, but it's fun. All of the men in our ward did like a cleaning up activity to clean the road, so why not throw a party after to celebrate it.

On Thursday we had pranzo (dinner) with one of the Anziani's investigators. It's actually Matteo and his family and they come to English course so we have kind of been working with them as well. Unfortunately he moves to Scotland on September 8 so he is not going to be ready to be baptized, but we're really hoping he will find the missionaries there. We had kind of a non traditional Pranzo. We had like pizza rustica first and crostini (I don't know if that's how you spell it and I don't really know how to describe it either.), then these crepes that had like mushrooms and
cheese in them, then this meat that she cooked in straight butter and fries, then she made tiramisu but it has coffee in it. Well you soak the cookies in coffee and she didn't know that we can't eat coffee (or drink it) so that was kind of sad. But it's ok. We taught Matteo a really cool lesson after about receiving answers to prayers. And for having five missionaries teach one person it was super impressive.

One thing I have decided I will master is how Italians use their hands when they talk. Matteo's family were so confused when they figured out that they don't use hand gestures in America haha.

Then we stopped by our investigator Lucia's house. She doesn't answer her phone so we just stop by every now and then and usually she is home, but we got in there and sat down and she says to me, "your face has gotten a lot rounder since I saw you last. You gained weight." And I'm like uhhhhh......... I just started laughing so hard because when I feel super awkward I just laugh and Sorella Flansberg started laughing and she says, "why are you guys laughing? It's true." And I was like OK I get it. Thank you. Haha Italians. We invited her to be baptized, she said she will think about it. She still is confused that we are not part of the Catholic Church even though we have explained it to her at least fifty times hahaha. But it's better than a no.

We did another gesso with the Anziani and the question we drew was "C'è un profeta oggi?" Which just means "Is there a prophet today?" And we went to Lungo mare which was very successful because it's super pretty so people go there to watch the sunset and just look at the ocean. We were able to talk to a lot more people because they weren't in a hurry to get anywhere. I got six "no's" and one "I don't want to answer the question." Haha so that was good!! It's fun to talk to people even though I'm terrible at it and don't speak Italian yet. Also it's funny because you say, "Can I
ask you a question?" And then it's just a no. Or a pity smile with the shake of a head. I'm like you seriously can't answer a question? They make me feel like a beggar and I'm a REPRESENTATIVE of Jesus Christ!!!!! But we love them anyway.

In church on Sunday some lady asked Anziano Anderson if a mosquito attacked his face because he had zits on it hahaha. He was like, no. And it was so funny/so sad. They just don't get it. They also always ask me if my mom liked drinking coffee a lot when she was pregnant with me because of my birthmark.

Yesterday for pranzo we had a really good meal. It was this lasagna that had prosciutto and mozzarella. Then for the meat it was basically just hamburger meat in a loaf with salad and she had this like fry sauce stuff that tasted like the sauce they put on Big Macs, so basically a Big Mac. Haha and then potatoes and these little like
eclairs. It was good. I would say that was the best food I have eaten so far. Then she asked us if we wanted to stay until she had to go back to the church at 6:30 and we were like, uh sorry. No we can't. And went and waited for the bus for an hour and the bus took us like way out far and then the bus driver decided he wanted to take a break so he did and the bus was SO packed with dogs barking and beach goers.
I was so claustrophobic haha. Then we had a birthday party for Sorella Lahaderne (the senior couple) at the church which was super fun. Once again. Another party. But I think that is the last one for a while.

Today we got permission to go out of our zone. Which is like a big deal. Our zone is all of Puglia, but we are right on the edge of it so to get to the other cities in our zone takes like five hours one way, which means when we got there, p day would be over. There is a city that is in the Bari zone that was only an hour away from us that is really cool. It's called Alberobello which means beautiful tree. It is basically all of these little houses that are all white and are in the hills and it's really cool. So if I don't email anyone back this week, then I'm very sorry. I love you all and miss you dearly.

Happy Birthday Papa and Olivia!  I love you both.

Siete BRAVISSIMO. VI VOGLIAMO BENE!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Sorella Lucy Ann Gochnour


Alberobello



No comments:

Post a Comment