Thursday, August 4, 2016

NO EFFORT IS WASTED




 Hi beautiful family that I love so much

I have made it.............2 MONTHS!!!!!!

WHAT A WEEK!!!!!!! This week actually felt like it went by SO SLOWLY because of all of the things that happened. We had four others sisters staying in our apartment from Tuesday to Wednesday and two of them until Thursday because we had scambios (which are exchanges) with two of the Sorelle from Crotone. Anyway. So after p-day was over we did some less active finding before English course. We had so many students at English course in Tuesday and Sorella and President Pickerd and the AP's had arrived at the church so we had SO many missionaries at English course and after it was over it was like feeding time for sharks haha. That's the only thing I can thing to describe it as. There were so many missionaries talking to all of these people. This lady wanted to know the difference between the Catholic Church and our church because she said she could feel something every time we give the spiritual thought at the end of English course so Sorella Flansberg and I went into a room with her and taught her the restoration and I gave the first vision (woot woot) haha and we got a return appointment with her which was awesome and we got out of that and our Taranto Anziani were in two different lessons. And they BOTH now have baptismal dates. One of these guys is named Matteo. Just keep that in mind. Matteo has a baptismal date.

The next day we had zone conference and it was so awesome. Those are very much needed. I got to play homeward bound and Anziano Rosenberg and Sorella Sargent sang while Anziano Anderson played the piano. It was really pretty. 


We talked mainly about repentance. How repentance is a change of heart. In Alma chapter 5 it talks a lot about change. There are 50 questions in that chapter haha we counted. A change of behavior is possible without Christ but a change of behavior and heart and who they are requires Christ. We were asked the question, "what have you repented of lately?" And I think it's a really good thing to just keep in the back of our minds always. To look at repentance at a different perspective. It truly is a gift Heavenly Father gave to us because He loves us that much. Also, President Pickerd asked us at the end of zone conference to think about what we wanted to change in ourselves to be better and to be a better missionary and he didn't have us share but he said, "I want to be a better husband." And I thought that was so cute. Even though it doesn't really apply to us as missionaries right now I thought it was cool. They're an awesome couple haha. 


Then you guys will never believe this. We were talking about ways we could enter into the city a different way just like Alma did and President Pickerd was like, "You all have been given talents. And you should all use them to the best of your abilities. I believe Sorella Gochnour and the missionaries here in Taranto just had an experience would someone like to share that experience?" And Sorella Flansberg and I were sitting in our chairs like uh yeah. It didn't work. And then Anziano Friedman gets up and starts telling us this story. So apparently that night we played the violin there was ONE guy who went up to Anziano Anderson and basically gave him his number and said he wanted to come to English course and learn more about his religion. So Anziano Friedman is telling this story and it all clicks. The man who stopped Anziano Anderson that night at the piazza is that same guy who came to English class, had one lesson with the missionaries and now has a baptismal date. This is Matteo. He has read all the way to Ether in the Book of Mormon. 
WHATTTTT????? Since when does that happen ever? Haha so crazy. Miracles
He has since said he needs a little more time to figure everything out and see if it's true of course but still that's pretty incredible and just built my testimony that NO EFFORT IS WASTED!!!!!!! Even if it really seems like it is.

I think I forgot to tell you but President Uchtdorf came to Rome a couple weeks ago and although we didn't see him he gave our mission some great advice haha. I don't know about all of the other missions in the world but we always get told that the eyes of the brethren are on the Italy Rome mission.  

And then to top all of this off we sang our mission hymn at the end of zone conference and it was so awesome haha. Since our mission is the Italy Rome mission and most Italians are for the most part very prideful we pride ourselves in our mission hymn. You'll have to look it up on the internet but it's so much fun to be a part of. There are so many incredible missionaries that hopefully I will someday be as great as them. This missionary work is so important and I love hearing from my friends and fellow missionaries (and volunteers) about the great work that they are doing.

That night we had scambios and our sister training leader decided to put me and Sorella Rohner together haha. Just two greenies walking around Taranto and I had no idea where we were going and neither of us speak Italian haha but it was so awesome. We were definitely helped by Heavenly Father. We didn't get lost, we talked to so many people (one guy came up to us and was asking us why we wear Jesus Christ on our name tag and not God and I kept telling him that we are representatives of Jesus Christ. He started asking us what gods name was? Haha I just kept saying Padre Celeste which is Heavenly Father.
Apparently he was looking for Jehovah hahaha we were trying to explain that it was sacred and that we don't use those names and he just kept arguing with us and telling us that God is a jealous God and so we just said we're not here to argue with you and Heavenly Father loves us and bye haha. It was so funny. It makes me sad that people think that way about God), and we got home right on time and even got panzerotti to celebrate!!!! So you could say that was a very good day.

And then on Saturday we had a baptism!! It was for this girl that has been being taught for like two years and her dad wouldn't let her get baptized so she just turned 18 and was baptized which was really fun to see. I can say I at least witnessed one baptism in my mission, even if I didn't do anything to get her there. It was fun to be a part of.

And yesterday I had my very first real pranzo appointment with the Taconelli family. I was so nervous and we sat down and she put this HUGE plate in front of me of pasta and I was like. Oh no. I can't do this. The plate was like a normal plate but three plates deep of pasta haha. So a plate bowl of pasta for the first course. I was able to finish that all and it was hard let me tell you. Then they bring out a bunch of rolls and sausage and salad. I ate one sausage and a couple of rolls and some salad. And then they bring out ice cream cake and
make you eat it like all. Haha oh man. I get out of the meal appointment and just feel so sick.  I was like feeling pretty good that I got through all of that food and Sorella Flansberg goes, "You're lucky that there wasn't that much food." WHAT????? Hahaha. 

I was studying a talk about repentance this week and came across this quote by Ekder Russell M. Nelson this week and it brought me a lot of comfort. He says, "I weep for joy when I contemplate the significance of it all. To be redeemed - to be atoned - is to be received in the close embrace of our Redeemer. What a privilege! In his embrace we can receive his forgiveness. We can really be one with him. What a comfort to those of us with loved ones who have already passed from our family circle through the doors of death! They are safe in his loving arms."

I love and miss you all so much. I wish you the best in each of your lives. Keep praying and reading your scriptures. Heavenly Father wants to hear from you and He loves you.  Thank you for your incredible examples.

I send you all of my love from the beautiful country of Italia

Love

Sorella Lucy G






No comments:

Post a Comment